Virgin StartUp is on a mission to change the prospects of startups for good and we need your help to do it.
We’re constantly on the lookout for experienced business people to help us nurture the next generation of brilliant British businesses. As a mentor, you will guide entrepreneurs to help them achieve their goals and realise their potential. You’ll help them understand problems, identify solutions and implement their plans.
Am I eligible?
We are looking for people who have experience in business – perhaps you specialise in a particular discipline (e.g. Finance, Marketing, e-Commerce etc…), have held senior management positions or had entrepreneurial experience - the key element is a desire to make a difference.
You must also be available to meet your entrepreneur face-to-face on a monthly basis, so given that this is a scheme for residents of the UK only, it’s probably not for you if you live outside the UK!
What do I get out of being a mentor?
While you won’t get paid for being a mentor, there are lots of other benefits that come with the role - like these:
- the personal satisfaction of being able to give something back
- the chance to pass on all you have learned about good business to someone who will benefit from your experience
- to practice your managerial skills and guide your entrepreneur through a key stage in their career
- a boost to your own career by adding mentorship to your skillset
- you'll learn as much from your mentee as they do from you
- a fresh perspective on your own career
- you'll feel energised thanks to your entrepreneur's fresh enthusiasm
- the chance to watch a young businessperson grow and develop with your help and support
- you'll be involved in the start of a new Virgin community of mentors and be able take part in our regular networking events
What's the commitment?
We appreciate that your time is limited, but all we ask is for 15 hours of mentoring over a year per mentee. However, we often find that mentors enjoy the experience so much that they give more time than the required minimum.
If you think you have what it takes to become a mentor:
We’re looking for new cohort of mentors to join the programme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details
*Please note that due to overwhelming demand, we will only contact those applicants that we believe to be suitable for the mentoring programme. A member of the team will be in touch within 2 months of your application to discuss next steps.