StartUp of the Week: Shooting Reels
We love startups that take a creatve, mult-faceted approach to their business. Take our StartUp of the Week, Shooting Reels. They use cutting-edge technology (including drones) and provide post-production support in the form of marketing strategies, to ensure that your video doesn't just look amazing - it also has an impact. We asked founder Ed a few questions over a cuppa.
Business name: Shooting Reels
Founder(s) name: Edward Deacon
Loan funds received: £18,000
Based in: Hereford, travel the UK, working globally
1. Explain your business in the time it would take the kettle to boil or drink to be poured.
We are an independent film production and online video marketing company. Here to document and inspire.
We are CAA permitted to operate our UAV (drone), and film up to 4K resolution quality. We create story-driven edits with flair, and offer an effective marketing strategy for the use of your video content.
2. Where are you based and why is it a good location for your business?
We are currently based in Hereford in the West Midlands; however we work all around the United Kingdom and can operate anywhere around the world. We have already produced two documentaries set in Las Vegas and Florida, and been commissioned to produce video content whilst travelling through Europe. We can film and edit on-the-go. Our studio has a powerful editing suite that enables us to operate more efficiently with file management and post-production workflow.
3. How did you come up with the idea?
I have always had a fascination with films and acting. I would make videos when I was as young as 10.
Over three years ago on a family holiday down in Devon, I was 18 years old and debating options for what I was going to do, as I had just finished my A-levels at college. At the time I was borrowing my Uncle’s DSLR, and mucking around with my brothers, making entertaining content for a YouTube channel. As we looked further into online video content we realised that there is a growing market for producing quality, promotional video content, online for businesses and consumers.
4. What’s the business model?
We are able to produce creative content online and for social media. We strive to produce the best quality videos on cost-effective budgets and for the videos to reach and exceed their goals.
5. Who are your competitors?
Other film production companies, online video marketing companies, videographers and drone operators.
6. What’s unique about your business?
- We are a ‘One-Stop-Shop’ film production and online video marketing company.
- We offer an all round videography service that includes aerial and ground station filming and in-house editing studio.
- We are competitive with our pricing and run cost-effectively to your budget.
- We operate with the latest innovative film equipment.
- We do also offer a video marketing strategy so that your video is promoted effectively.
7. What stage was your business at when you applied for the Start Up Loan?
We had already set up an initial website and building up a client base. We were held back by the lack of quality equipment.
8. How have you used it to grow your business?
To upgrade our equipment, gain the necessary accreditation and permit to operate our UAV (Drone) commercially.
9. Who is your mentor and how have they helped you?
To build the business till now, I have been fortunate to use the advice from my parents. Stuart (Dad) set up his own successful chocolate factory at the age of 24, and ran it for over 20 years. He supplied Virgin Airlines, among many other hotels and retailers.
10. Who is your regional delivery partner and how did they help you get a Virgin StartUp loan?
We were supported in our application by Glen Watts at Enterprise Support. Glen helped us during the application, reviewing our written and financial business plans and providing advice all throughout the process.
11. Biggest achievement so far?
Securing the Virgin Startup investment and setting up Shooting Reels to be able to offer the full package of quality film and visual services.
Our work ranges from producing online promotional material for events, music artists and business, too documenting around Europe and America. We have produced two mockumentary’s for The Beefy Boys as they have competed at The World Food Championships 2 years in a row; both in Las Vegas and Florida.
12. What’s next for your business?
To successful establish ourselves as the go-to independent film production and online video marketing company.
We are currently releasing ‘Behind-The-Scenes’/Vlogs of the business which you can follow and be part of our journey. We aim to build our own traffic database and create this as another unique selling point to our business model. This platform will also enable us to prove that we practice what we preach. Watch it on YouTube here!