Win a spot on a startup trade mission to New York
The beauty of starting a business today is you can target customers in Brazil, China or the USA straight from a coffee shop, kitchen table or bedroom in Britain.
With that in mind, we’ve teamed up with Enterprise Nation to offer one of our Virgin StartUp entrepreneurs the opportunity to head out on a trade mission to New York as part of a 2 day trip, with the sole aim of kick-starting your business in the U.S all funded by us.
As part of this once-in-a-lifetime trip you’ll get to meet 60 fellow UK business owners, 10 leading small business journalists and New York's hottest startups, brands and entrepreneurs, including:
- Etsy - a visit to Etsy HQ in Brooklyn to meet the team responsible for building a marketplace that is home to 30 million buyers and sellers of unique goods.
- Squarespace – a show-around and stop-off at the Soho offices of online website builder, Squarespace, located in the heart of the New York tech community.
- Freelancers Union – representing the interests of 243,000 freelancers to the US government is quite some job. Attend this session to hear how it’s done.
- Indiegogo – fund-raising tips from one of the world’s leading crowdfunding platforms.
- Heidi Messer - co-founder of one of the world’s largest online affiliate networks, LinkShare Corporation, recognized as the fastest growing technology company in the New York Region before being sold to Rakuten in 2005, for $425 million. Heidi is now co-founder of Collective [i] and an angel investor.
- Judith Clegg – founder of consultancy, TakeOut, Judith is a British entrepreneur who splits her time between London and New York. There’s no-one better placed to outline business opportunities available to British businesses in the city of New York.
- Rachel Shechtman, founder of Story, one of New York’s most successful and notable retail PopUps. A select number of mission members will also have the opportunity to sell their product in Story.
What else comes as part of 'the Mission'
- Flight from Gatwick to New York, departing Gatwick at 18.20 on Thursday 25 September, returning from New York’s JFK at 21.35 on 27th September.
- 2 nights accommodation in New York.
- Meetings with New York’s best brands and entrepreneurs.
- Evening reception with a host of potential partners.
- Opportunity to meet fellow mission-goers; a batch of talented UK entrepreneurs all growing small businesses.
- Meet with 10 leading small business journalists on the trip.
- Business Brunch on Saturday.
In 2013 we took six businesses across the pond for a similar trade mission and now five of those have expanded to the U.S. See the story of the trip in the video below:
This new mission is completely sold out but we’ve a space reserved for one Virgin StartUp entrepreneur. To win a space on the mission fill in the form below. Deadline for entries will be 7th September. To become a Virgin StartUp entrepreneur you need to register for funding. You can do that by following the, ' Apply for funding' tab at the top right of the screen.