By entering Virgin StartUp 10: competition (the “Competition”) you agree to the following terms and conditions (the “Terms”):
For the purposes of these Terms, the following terms shall have the following meanings.
Virgin Group means (a) Virgin Group Holdings Limited, its subsidiary undertakings, its parent undertakings and any subsidiary undertaking of any such parent undertaking (each as defined in section 1162 of the Companies Act 2006), (b) any entity which has the name “Virgin” in its title and licenses the right to use the “Virgin” name, directly or indirectly, from Virgin Enterprises Limited and each of its subsidiary undertakings, (c) the Virgin Foundation (a registered charity trading as Virgin Unite), and (d) Sir Richard Branson and the Branson family.
- To be eligible to win the Competition, entries must be submitted by completing and submitting the entry form via the Virgin StartUp (“VSU”) website, found at www.virginstartup.org/10-scotland (an “Entry”).
- Only one Entry per person will be accepted. All additional Entries will be discounted
- All Entries must be received by 11:59 BST on 8 Jan 2018 (the “Closing Date”). All Competition entries received after the Closing Date will be automatically disqualified.
- No purchase is necessary and there is no charge to make an Entry to the Competition.
- The entry form must be correctly filled in completely and accurately. Entry forms that are incomplete (where questions are left unanswered) or that are found to be inaccurate may be disqualified from the Competition at any time, in the absolute discretion of VSU. By entering the Competition, you represent and warrant that:all information submitted in your Entry is true, current and complete; and all work relating to your business is your own work and all intellectual property rights in that work are owned by you or your business.
- Entrants must demonstrate with their application that they own/operate a business in Scotland and that they have: a strong vision, plan and evidence that they can achieve that vision; that the idea is commercially and financially viable; and display creativity, innovation, genuine approach and passion.
- In order to have submitted a valid Entry to become a “Participant” entrants must:
- accept and comply with these Terms;
- Be individuals
- Be aged 18 years and over with the right to work in the United Kingdom (the “UK”) and the right to remain in the UK for at least two years after the Closing Date;
have a UK based business within its first 3 years of trading;
- Not be an employee of any member of the Virgin Group
-For the avoidance of doubt, where it is not possible to obtain the authorisations and certificates under this Condition 1.5.6 prior to entering the Competition, these may be obtained at a later date but must be evidenced to VSU before a Participant may take up any prize;
- Have all necessary corporate approvals required in order to enter the Competition and accept any Prize (if won). For example, if an entrant’s business is co-owned, the entrant must have obtained, the prior written consent of the co-owner(s) before entering the Competition. Where applicable, by agreeing to these Terms, you warrant and represent that you have received the written consent of the co-owner(s) of your business.
All Participants must be available:
- For a telephone interview, between 16 November 2017 and 8 January 2018 (dates subject to change);
- On reasonable notice for ad hoc media requests for interview or commentary regarding the Competition; and
- On reasonable notice, provide written content for blogs or diaries as requested by VSU.
For the avoidance of doubt, all dates included in these Terms and Conditions are subject to change without notice. VSU will not accept any liability if the final dates change and/or are not convenient for any entrant or Participant.
Invalid Entries and Disqualification
- Failure to submit an Entry in accordance with these Terms, will mean entrants will not be eligible to enter the Competition or win the prizes set out under Condition 3. VSU accept no responsibility for any Entries that are lost, delayed, corrupted, damaged, incomplete or otherwise invalid. VSU will not be responsible for any fault or failure (including technical or digital) which prevents a person from entering the Competition, howsoever caused.
- Entries may be rejected or disqualified from the Competition at the sole discretion of VSU for reasons including but not limited to breach of these Terms, obscenity, abuse of any kind, defamation, an invasion of privacy or any other objectionable content. Any entrant found to be submitting unsolicited bulk messages (i.e. spam) or posting the same Entry from more than one email address will be disqualified from the Competition.
The Prizes consist of:
The Winner will receive mentoring support consisting of one mentoring session from a each member of the judging. All mentors and sessions shall be subject to availability and it is the responsibility of the Winner to ensure that they are able to attend the mentoring sessions offered to them. VSU accept no responsibility for the Winner’s inability to take up the mentoring offered as part of the Winning Prize.
The Prizes set out under this Condition represent the entire prize offering by VSU as part of the Competition.
Each Prize and each element comprising each Prize are not transferable or exchangeable. The Prizes have no cash value and cannot be taken as cash or for any other item or benefit. If for any reason any Participant does not make use of a Prize including if a Prize is not claimed or redeemed, no Participant shall be entitled to an alternative prize. In each case, no refund or compensation will be provided.
If any Prize (or any part of it) is unavailable, VSU, in their absolute discretion, reserve the right to substitute that Prize (or any part of the Prize) for an alternative prize or prizes (as appropriate). For the avoidance of doubt, this is a right for VSU and there is no obligation on VSU to provide a replacement.
The Competition Selection Process
10 Participants will be selected from the valid Entries for a shortlist (“Shortlisted Participants”). Shortlisted Participants will be invited to attend an “Interview Day” at a location (to be confirmed), where they will meet with VSU representatives, pitch their business, showcase samples if appropriate, explain how the opportunity could benefit the business and discuss logistical requirements for kiosks (in the event they were to win).
The Winner will be selected from one of the Finalists by a judging panel composed of representatives from VSU, Virgin Management Limited, and other invited guests (the “Judging Panel”).
To decide which Finalist will be the Winner, the Judging Panel will consider he following criteria:
The Finalist displays a strong vision, plan and evidence that they can achieve that vision;
The Finalist demonstrates that the idea is commercially and financially viable; and
The Finalist displays creativity, innovation, genuine approach and passion.
For all judging decisions, the Judging Panel’s decision is final and binding. All other decisions relating to the Competition including eligibility and all final decisions relating to the Prizes rests solely with VSU. No correspondence will be entered into concerning any of these matters.
Where, under this Condition 4, VSU contacts or attempts to contact a Participant, or the Winner to inform them of their success in progressing to the next stage of the Competition and VSU does not receive a response within twenty four hours of when it first tried to contact that Participant, VSU reserves the right to award that Participant’s place in the Competition to another Participant and the original Participant shall have no right to receive the relevant Prize. VSU and Intu accept no responsibility whatsoever for the failure of any communication (whether under this Condition 4 or otherwise) to reach the relevant Participant.
VSU will require the Winner to attend a winner announcement event (date and location tbc).
Unless expressly specified below, all Participants, Shortlisted Participants, Semi Finalists, Finalists and Winner are responsible for all personal expenses and any ancillary costs incurred by each in enjoyment of the Prize including their own transport and accommodation (if needed) to and from all Competition events and the Prize location. This includes the Pitch Day, Interview Day, publicity events and any mentoring sessions.
The participants agree to take part in all reasonable Competition-related publicity (such as interviews and photography) surrounding the winning of the Prizes, consent to VSU, virgin.com using their name and image (and the name, trade marks and service marks of their business) in promotional material. No remuneration will be paid for any participation in publicity.
In order to facilitate and carry out its obligations as part of the Competition, VSU will use, store and process personal data you provide and will do so at all times in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 as amended, superseded or replaced (the “Act”).
VSU may, in its absolute discretion vary or amend these Terms, change any Prize or terminate this Competition without prior notice. You agree that no liability shall attach to VSU or any member of the Virgin Group as a result thereof and that, in such circumstances, no compensation will be payable.
VSU, and the Virgin Group shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations under these Terms caused by (but not limited to) weather conditions, fire, flood, strike, hurricane, industrial dispute, war, terrorist activity, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, loss of connectivity, internet or email failure or any other circumstances beyond the control of VSU or that member of the Virgin Group.
Neither VSU, nor any member of the Virgin Group shall be liable for property lost, stolen or damaged at any Competition events or during use of the Prizes.
Nothing in these Terms shall be deemed to be a licence or permission to use the name, brand, trade marks or service marks of VSU, a member of the Virgin Group and any such use is strictly forbidden without the prior written consent of VSU.
Participants shall behave in a respectful and courteous manner throughout their participation in the Competition and shall do nothing to bring VSU or any member of the Virgin Group into disrepute, nor carry out any act or omission that might damage the brand of VSU or any member of the Virgin Group. VSU reserves the right to automatically disqualify any Participant that is in breach of this Condition in its absolute discretion, and shall withdraw the offer of any Prize that may have been offered without incurring any liability to the disqualified Participant whatsoever.
The Competition is run by Virgin Start Up Limited whose registered address is the Battleship Building, 179 Harrow Road, London W2 6NB.
These Terms are subject to the laws of England and Wales and any dispute arising out of or in connection with this Competition shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales